Philippa Davis – roast beetroot, Umbrian lentils and honey with ricotta salad
This recipe was written by Philippa Davis a private chef (@philippadavis_privatechef) who loves cooking with Hive & Keeper honeys.
Roast beetroot, Umbrian lentils and honey with ricotta salad
Serves 8 as a side salad
- 4 raw beetroots (I used golden and red ones)
- 1 tbs olive oil for cooking
- 200g Umbrian lentils
- 1 garlic clove
- a few parsley stalks
- ½ a chilli cut lengthways
- 200g ricotta
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 sticks celery
- 20g parsley
- 20g dill
- 20g mint
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 avocados
To dress the salad
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
- Scrub the beetroots and boil in water till cooked (depending on size this can take 30 mins- 1 hour
- Drain then scrape away the skin. Cut into wedges and drizzle with the cooking oil. Roast on a tray till slightly caramlised (about 30 mins).
- Meanwhile place the lentils in a pan and cover with water to 1 inch above.
- Add the garlic clove, chilli, parsley stalks and bring the boil.
- Simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until just cooked.
- If there is still lots of water left once cooked drain away most of the excess, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the ricotta with the honey and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve remove the skin and pith off the oranges and slice into thin rounds
- Chop the celery into 1 cm pieces and the avocado into small chunks.
- Finely chop the herbs and add them to the lentils along with the lemon juice, chopped celery and avocado.
- Layer the lentils, beetroots, oranges in a bowl and top with scoops of honeyed ricotta.