Pandan rice dessert by Martijn Defauw (restaurant Rebelle)
Pandan rice is a type of long grain jasmine rice which has a very elegant perfume. We only have one signature dish in Rebelle and it is a dessert only made with pandan rice. In this dessert we layer out different flavours & textures of the rice, build up, but again with a simplified presentation. The guest only sees a bowl of white mousse with a thin tuile on top.
The fun thing is the guest has to break the sugar tuile & then goes all the way down the bowl with his spoon, and in this way discover a creamy warm rice porridge, puffed rice, a pandan sorbet. It is all about the balance between the temperature & contrasting textures in this little bowl that makes this our signature dessert & never leaves the menu.
recipe by Martijn Defauw (restaurant Rebelle)
pandan rice dessert
pandan rice sorbet
- 1l milk
- 300g pandan rice
- 300g sorbet base syrup
- Infuse the milk & pandan rice for 30 minutes on 65°C.
- Cool down, mix in the sorbet base syrup & put in Pacojet containers.
- Freeze & spin the ice cream when needed.
pandan rice espuma
- 500g pandan rice milk
- 300g mascarpone
- 100g sugar
- 100g cream
- 1g xanthan
- Mix everything together & put in a foam canister.
- Load with 2 cartridges & keep ice cold.
- Heat oil to 200°C & put the pandan rice for a few seconds.
- Put on greaseproof paper & season with sugar
pandan rice sugar tuile
- 420 g pandan rice
- 1200 g glucose
- 840 g fondant sugar
- Heat the 2 sugars to 160°C, slightly toast the rice & add to the sugar mixture.
- Let the mixture become cold & hard, mix to a fine powder.
- Sprinkle the powder into round moulds, bake at 180°C.
- 100g pandan rice
- 300g milk
- 100g cream
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- 65g sugar
Put everything together in a cooking pot, cook until creamy.
Build the dessert:
In the bottom put 1 spoon of rice porridge, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of puffed rice, scoop 1 ball of pandan ice-cream on top & cover everything with the espuma. Gently put the pandan rice tuile on top.