Pan Fried Tandoori Chicken by The Spice Queen Parveen Ashraf
These spicy, tender tasting medallions of chicken are healthy, quick and easy to make. They make great starters that can be eaten as part of a healthy diet, if you are watching the calories. They are best served in warm pitta bread with plain salty yoghurt and salad. I often make this as a main meal for my two boys, who are a little bit obsessed with the gym these days. It’s a perfectly packed protein meal.
This recipe also works really well as BBQ tandoori chicken. To barbeque, cut the chicken fillets into approximately 2cm cubes and cook on skewers as you would normally do.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes between 20 to 25 pieces
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of tandoori powder
- ½ tsp of coriander seed powder
- ½ tsp of chilli flakes
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh or bottled
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut chicken into medallions (1cm thick) the pieces should be roughly the same size but if they are not, don’t worry you can just cook the smaller pieces for less time.
- In a large bowl, add the yoghurt, salt, lemon juice, chilli flakes, chilli powder, coriander powder and tandoori powder and mix together – this is the marinade. Now add chicken pieces and coat thoroughly. Leave to marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes (allowing flavours to fuse together).
- Add 1 or 2 tbsp of oil into a frying pan and heat till oil is hot.
- Carefully place chicken pieces in the pan. Make sure you leave space between each piece, so you should be able to pan fry 6 or 7 depending on the size of your pan..
- Cook on high heat for about 1 min on each side to seal the chicken, then a further 2 minutes on each side to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Clean the frying pan with kitchen paper between each batch of chicken and continue to cook all the chicken. Either serve straight away or store in a Tupperware with a lid to keep in all the moisture.
PARVEEN’S TOP TIP
If you have a busy life, you can marinate the chicken and it will keep in the fridge for 2 days. Then just pan fry and eat. Or you can make a big batch and freeze the chicken and all you have to do is take it out of the freezer, into the microwave on high for 2mins and you are good to go!