Jasmin Chew – recipe for chocolate soil
Jasmin Chew has a passion for chocolate and has trained at L’Ecole Valrhona!
- 55g melted butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 50g sugar
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2g salt
- 9g 100% cocoa block (grated fine, mix in last)
- 15g cocoa nibs
- 60g pistachio nuts (toasted and chopped)
- 20g walnuts (toasted and chopped)
- 5g Yukari Ko (a type of Japanese seasoning called furikake)
- Mix the brown sugar, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the centre of the mix and add in melted butter.
- Carefully mix them together. Overmixing will create a dough instead of soil.
- In another bowl, mix toasted and finely chopped nuts, cocoa nibs, and Yukari Ko.
- Fold this into the soil mixture, making sure that “soil” is sandy instead of lumpy. If it starts to lump together, chill the mixture and break them up as best as you can.
- Grate 100% chocolate into a fine dust and do a quick 2-second fold in.
- Your chocolate soil is now ready.